OverviewDespite its ominous name, Mt. Purgatory and its accompanying peaks make for a wonderful trekking experience across the Cordilleras. Spanning 25 kilometers and a total of four peaks, the trail is sure to satisfy those who can’t get enough of that amazing mountain atmosphere.
The trail follows old rough roads and well-established footpaths running up and down the mountains, and takes hikers across seemingly endless swathes of mesmerizing pine and mossy forests. Each of the different peaks – with the highest being Mt. Kokompol at 2,329 meters above sea level – opens up to tantalizing vistas of the surrounding Cordillera Mountains. Along the way, you can easily spot notable landmarks such as Mt. Pulag (you can even spot some of the hikers there on a clear day) and Mt. Sto. Tomas, with some parts of Baguio City visible.
All in all, the trail takes two to three days to finish. At the end of the long journey, hikers will feel not as if they were in purgatory, but like they had just been on cloud 9.
Did you know?
The mountain was christened by an American logging supervisor who had described the difficult working conditions in the area as akin to “being in purgatory.”
- Roundtrip transfers via bus: Manila-Baguio-Manila
- Roundtrip transfers via Monster Jeepney: Baguio-Mt.Purgatory Jump-off-Baguio
- Camp meals (Day 1: Dinner, Day 2: Breakfast, Lunch)
- Overnight stay at a local hut
- Registration fees, environmental fees, cultural fees and other applicable entrance fees
- Services of our Adventure Guide
- Local guide fees
- Trail Adventours bag tag
- Porter fees (if needed by the participant)
- Meals (Breakfast and lunch on day 1, dinner on day 2)
- Tips and donations
04:00 AM Estimated Time of Arrival (ETA) Baguio. Board Jeepney. (Day 1)
04:15 AM Depart for Mt. Purgatory. Breakfast along the way.
09:45 AM ETA Jump-off point. Final preparations and orientation.
10:30 AM Start Trek. Lunch along the way.
02:30 PM ETA Mt. Pack.
04:00 PM ETA Mt. Purgatory.
06:30 PM ETA Bakian Elementary School. Settle down.
08:00 PM Dinner.
09:00 PM Meet up and Registration at the Victory Liner bus station, Pasay Terminal. (Day 0)
09:30 PM Lights out.
10:00 PM Depart for Baguio City.
03:00 AM ETA Manila. (Day 3)
06:00 AM Wake up call. Breakfast. Prepare for the hike.
08:00 AM Start trek.
10:00 AM ETA Mt.Kompol-Kompol.
01:00 PM ETA Pethal. Agno Riverside Trek. Lunch.
02:00 PM ETA Brgy. Ekip. Proceed to Bokod Municipal Hall.
03:00 PM ETA Bokod Municipal Hall. Tidy up.
04:00 PM ETD for Baguio
07:00 PM ETA Baguio. Dinner and souvenir shopping.
09:00 PM Depart for Manila.
|Trail Steepness||Moderate to steep|
|Trail Exposure||Mostly covered|
|Transportation||Public bus and private jeepney|
|Water Source||Present at the camp site (may not be available during summer)|
|Restroom/Toilet||Very simple restroom/toilet is present at camp|
|Temperature||10-15 deg. celsius in the evening and early. morning. Ward during the day|
|Accommodations||Simple hut shared with everyone. Sleeping bags and matts needed|
|Meals||Provided (please see excluded meals)|
|Special equipment/Gear||Extra gear and clothes for the cold|
|Wash Area at the Jump-off point||Present|
- Clothes good enough for the trip
- A good pair of trekking shoes
- Jacket (It is advised to have 2 jackets a cotton/fleece jacket for the cold and a water proof jacket for when you walk at the camp site.)
- Things for rain and sun protection (e.g. Sunblock, shades, raincoat)
- Head Light
- Water and other rehydration fluids (we recommend a minimum of 2 litters/person/day)
- Eating utensils
- Snacks/ Trail Food
- Personal medications
- Toiletries (tissue, wet wipes, tooth brush etc.)
- Trekking pole
- Extra plastic or dry bags
- Deposit slip and your remaining balance
*No need for tents